- $1,000 water conservation fee applies to all new residential connections
- $1,320 per bedroom inflow and infiltration fee for all new sewer connections on new construction.
- $4,000 fee for each connection into the Municipal Water System
- New connections for in-ground and garden irrigation systems are prohibited
Water Conservation Fee
Effective February 24, 2003, the Board of Selectman has instituted a $1,000 water conservation fee for all new residential connections. The intent of the fee is for the money to be used in water conservation measures to reduce the consumption of water in the community. The reduction of consumption will aid the town in remaining in compliance with state water regulations while allowing additional users to connect to the system, otherwise, additional connections may not be allowed in the future.
Cross Connect Devices
Cross Connect (or Backflow Devices) are required for commercial properties, fire sprinklers, and some residential applications. These devices are subject to initial inspection, and an annual (sometimes bi-annual) reinspection fee. Please review the documents below and contact the Shrewsbury Water Department with any questions.
In-Ground & Garden Irrigation Systems
Also, on February 10, 2003, the board voted to prohibit new connections to the municipal water system for in-ground and garden irrigation systems. Outdoor water use, specifically lawn watering, is causing water demands in town to exceed our state water withdrawal permit. With all the new home construction in town, underground sprinkler systems are now commonplace in most subdivisions. Of the 200 largest residential users in town, the overwhelming majority are newer homes with underground systems. These high flow figures are causing undue strain on the water system and a burden to the majority of our customers who only use nominal additional water in the summertime. Again, we ask all our customers to use water conservation daily in their household usage and we thank our customers presently observing these practices.
- New Owner Application (PDF)
- Sewer Connection Rules and Regulations (PDF)
- Water Line Installation Rules and Regulations (PDF)
- Change of Address Forms
- 2018 Drainlayers List
- Cross Connection Control Program Procedure
- Cross Connect Data Design Sheet Form
- Cross Connection Regulations, State of Mass, 310 CMR 22.22