Water Use Restrictions
Water Use Restriction
Whereas The Board of Selectmen has determined that a shortage of water exists and conservation measures are necessary to ensure an adequate supply of water to all water consumers, and
Whereas The conditions set forth in the Water Management Act Permit #9P4-2-12-271.01 require seasonal limits on nonessential outdoor water use, and
Whereas The Board of Selectmen is empowered under Article 18 of the General By-Laws of the Town of Shrewsbury to take action to ensure an adequate supply of water to all water consumers, therefore be it resolved:
1. Pursuant to Article 18, Section 4 of the General By-Laws of the Town of Shrewsbury the following water conservation measures are hereby implemented:
Outdoor Watering Hours
Nonessential outdoor watering hours are restricted to before 9:00 AM and after 5:00 PM.
Outdoor Use of Water Restrictions
Based upon the street address number nonessential outdoor water use is allowed:
- Even numbered addresses may engage in nonessential outdoor water use on Wednesdays and Saturdays only.
- Odd numbered addresses may engage in nonessential outdoor water use on Thursdays and Sundays only.
Nonessential outdoor water uses that are subject to mandatory restrictions include:
- Irrigation of lawns via sprinklers or automatic irrigation systems;
- Washing of vehicles, except in a commercial car wash or as necessary for operator safety; and
- Washing of exterior building surfaces, parking lots, driveways or sidewalks, except as necessary to apply surface treatments such as paint, preservatives, stucco, pavement or cement.
- Irrigation to establish a new lawn and new plantings during the months of May and September.
- Irrigation of public parks and recreational fields by means of automatic sprinklers outside the hours; and
- Irrigation of lawns, gardens, flowers and ornamental plants by means of a hand-held hose.
3. The Board of Selectmen determines that for the period of time that this State of a Water Supply Conservation is in effect that enforcement of the provisions of Article 18 of the General By-Laws of the Town of Shrewsbury shall be pursuant to General Laws Chapter 40, Section 21D which provides for non-criminal disposition.
4. These restrictions are effective May 1, 2020, and will end on September 30, 2020.
5. Under Article 18 General By-Laws, Town of Shrewsbury, Section 4, Water Use Restrictions, the following fine structure is in place for violations for the water use restrictions.
1) First Offense in Calendar Year - Warning
2) Second Offense in Calendar Year - $50.00
3) Third Offense in Calendar Year - $100.00
4) Fourth and subsequent offenses in Calendar Year - $200.00
and turn off of water service
Reconnection Fee - $50.00
6. Many items can be found to minimize outdoor water usage and maximize water efficiency around your home at the following EPA website. www.epa.gov/watersense
Click here for Water Use Restrictions 2020
The annual drinking water quality report for calendar year 2019 is now ready and can be viewed at www.shrewsburyma.gov/depreportccr. This document, also known as the Customer Confidence Report, contains valuable information about our drinking water. Read on...
J.L Raymaakers began construction on Route 20 (Hartford Turnpike) on May 18, 2020 and work is progressing on schedule. Construction activity of new sewer installation for the Route 20 Corridor Sewer Upgrades will begin on Arrowwood Drive starting July 9. Read on...
Water Use Restrictions are in effect May 1, 2020, and will end on September 30, 2020 Read on...