Beal Reuse Committee
The Board of Selectmen established the Beal Reuse Committee in November 2017. The committee consists of seven (7) members:
1. One member of the Board of Selectmen or Designee, who shall chair such committee
2. One member of the Shrewsbury Housing Authority
3. One member of the Parks and Cemetery Commission or Designee
4. One member of the Beal Early Childhood Center Building Committee
5. The Division Manager of Public Buildings
6. Two members at large with one being appointed by the Board of Selectmen and one being appointed by Town Manager who, by reason of their current or prior background in such fields as construction, architecture, real estate, land use and development, engineering or other relevant experience, have special knowledge to assist in evaluating and recommending future uses of the property.
Town staff members including but not limited to the Assistant Town Manager/Economic Development Coordinator, Town Planner, Town Engineer and the Superintendent of Public Facilities and Parks may be consulted by the Committee to inform their decisions.
The Committee shall undertake a comprehensive analysis of potential reuses for the Beal Early Childhood Center property. The analyses should include future public uses as well as the potential benefits of disposing of the property located at 1 Maple Avenue.
Beal Building Request for Proposals (RFP) Process
In May 2019, the Horsley Witten Group issued a Town Center Visioning Report for the Town Of Shrewsbury as a result of public hearings and online surveys. The report outlined the preferences for the reuse of the Beal School property at 1 Maple Avenue when the school is vacated.
In conjunction, the Town held two public forums in November & December 2019 regarding the proposed Shrewsbury Town Center rezoning effort.
In October 2019, the Town was awarded a grant from MassDevelopment to create a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the disposition of the Beal School property. In January 2020, the Town began the process for developing the RFP for the property located at 1 Maple Ave, the Beal School Building.
The Board of Selectmen and Beal Reuse Committee have met to discuss and kick-off the RFP process with our consultant Horsley Witten Group. The consultant also also met with the Town Center Association to further discuss this work. The RFP will be written based on the Town Center Visioning Study, the Beal Reuse Committee recommendations to the Board of Selectmen, and two public forums and focus groups that were held. The Board of Selectmen discussed the establishment and charge of a Beal RFP Selection Committee on January 28, 2020. The RFP is scheduled to be available in May 2020.
A rezoning proposal will be submitted to the Annual Town Meeting in May with public hearings with the Planning Board being held in March and April 2020.
The existing Beal School at 1 Maple Ave will be vacant by June 2021 with the new Howard W. Beal Elementary School at 214 Lake Street scheduled to open in the Fall of 2021.