APPLIANCES and ELECTRONICS
Below, are some suggestions on how to dispose of these items:
- Waste Management - This company collects white goods (appliances). Please, call ahead for fee information and for scheduling pick-up. Their phone number is (800)972-4545.
- The Dumpster Divers - This company picks up TVs computers, and appliances. Please call ahead for fee information. The Dumpster Divers can be contacted at 508-925-5245.
- Best Buy - This company will accept computer monitors, wiring for computers, keyboards, palm pilots, radios, boom boxes, and TVs (TVs have to be 32 inches or under). Please contact them directly for fee information at 508-852-1800.
- Staples - This company will take back Free of Charge: desktop computers, laptops, tablets, eReaders, monitors, desktop printers, copiers, scanners, faxes, all-in-ones, shredders, UPS/battery back-up devices, peripherals including mice, keyboards, modems, routers, and PC speakers, small electronics including GPS devices, digital cameras, MP3 players, mobile phones, and cordless phones, external hard drives and small servers. Bring in your old office technology products to your local Staples and they will responsibly and securely recycle them at no cost to you - any brand, any condition, even if you purchased it somewhere else. Staples can be contacted at 508-842-1507.
- Justin Nietsche - Will take any item containing Freon: Air conditioners, dehumidifiers, refrigerators, and freezers ($30.00 for the first item and $20.00 for each additional item). TVs, Computer monitors, and CRTs (Starting at $20.00 each). He can be contacted at 774-272-0148.
Lead, Rechargeable, and Car batteries
Justin Nietsche will accept the following - $10.00 per appointment. To schedule a pick-up, please contact Justin Nietsche at 774-272-0148.
Return to the Shrewsbury Health Department located on the 1st floor in the Town Hall.
* Button-cell batteries are no longer manufactured with Mercury.
The Health Department will continue to accept them through 2020. At that time, it will conclude the program.
These are hazardous and cannot be placed in your rubbish. One suggestion, is to contact New England Disposal Technologies (NEDT) - they are a state permitted, pay-as-you-throw household hazardous waste collection center in Sutton, MA. Please contact them directly at 866-769-1621 for pricing. It varies by product.
The Home Depot, 530 Boston Turnpike in Shrewsbury has a return program by their Courtesy Counter - free of charge
Are not hazardous and may be disposed of in your Pay As You Throw (PAYT) rubbish bag.
Businesses that generate 3 bags of rubbish per week or less are eligible for rubbish collection if they use the Pay As You Throw (PAYT) rubbish bags. Rubbish is picked up on a weekly basis. To determine your rubbish collection day, view our Street Listing document.
Businesses that participate in the PAYT program must also recycle. Curbside recycling collection is provided every week. View the recycle calendar (PDF) to determine if it's a YELLOW (Paper and Cardboard) or GRAY (Plastic, Cans, Bottles) collection week.
Large Cardboard Boxes (i.e. moving boxes)
Please flatten and place in the dumpster marked "Corrugated Cardboard Only". This dumpster is for Shrewsbury residents only. Not for commercial business use.
Municipal Garage, 211 South Street, Shrewsbury, MA 01545
Hours of operation: Monday thru Friday from 7:00 A.M. to 3:30 P.M.
- All Recycle cardboard boxes/items must be 2'x2' or under for curb-side pick-up. Cardboard boxes must be flattened, consolidated, secured and bundled for curbside pick-up.
CARPET / RUGS
Must be cut into 4-foot lengths and rolled up. Make 4 rolls and bundle them together with twine, string or masking tape. Affix 1 bulk waste sticker to the bundle. You will need 1 bulk waste sticker for every 4 bundled rolls.
Reminder to schedule a pick-up for BULK WASTE.
CONSTRUCTION and BUILDING MATERIAL DEBRIS
The following individuals will pick up small rubbish & building material at your residence for a fee:
- Mike Warren at (774) 623-6363 - and ask for Donna
- Zona Company at (508) 752-4226
If you need to dispose of an expired fire extinguisher (empty or not), please return it to:
Fire Department Headquarters, 11 Church Road, Shrewsbury, MA 01545
FLUORESCENT TUBES - up to 4 feet in length
Shrewsbury residents may return to Rocky's Ace Hardware, 261 West Main Street, Northborough.
Requirements: Please wrap Fluorescent Tubes to prevent breakage. Broken tubes will not be accepted. Please be prepared to show proof of residency. There is no fee for this service.
FLUORESCENT TUBES - over 4 feet in length
Tubes over 4 feet in length are considered commercial size. These contain mercury. Residents can contact New England Disposal Technologies (NEDT)- a state permitted, pay-as-you-throw household hazardous waste collection center located in Sutton, MA. The center is open to all Massachusetts residents and pre-registered very small quantity business generators of hazardous waste. Please contact them directly for pricing, as it varies by product: NEDT Flier with pricing - 2019
New England Disposal Technologies (NEDT) is a state permitted, Pay As You Throw (PAYT) household hazardous waste collection center located in Sutton, MA. The center is open to all Massachusetts residents and pre-registered very small quantity business generators of hazardous waste. Please contact them directly for pricing, as it varies by product: NEDT Flier with pricing - 2019
If the Town were to sponsor a Hazardous Collection event, that information would be posted on the Town's website and social media such as Twitter and FaceBook.
Round bulbs (i.e. 60, 75, etc. watt bulbs):
Wrap to prevent breakage and place in your Pay As You Throw (PAYT) rubbish bag.
Compact Flourescent Lamp (CFL) bulbs (ie. the small curly bulbs):
Return to The Home Depot courtesy counter, 530 Boston Turnpike, Shrewsbury, MA 01545
The Shrewsbury Police Department in conjunction with the Shrewsbury Board of Health, coordinates Medication Take Back events twice per year. Questions? Please contact the Health Department at 508-841-8384.
There are no scheduled take back events at this time.
Shrewsbury residents may drop off unwanted / expired over-the-counter or prescription medication in the designated Medication Drop-off Kiosk Box located at:
197 Boston Turnpike
Shrewsbury, MA 01545
Telephone: 508-752-0439 - Open 24 hours a day
Useful link: HOW TO DISPOSE OF UNUSED MEDICATION
The Shrewsbury Health Department, located on the first floor of the Town Hall has a Mercury Recovery Return program and will accept mercury-bearing items such as:
- Mercury thermometers, Mercury thermostats, and Mercury button batteries
(The Health Department CANNOT accept any type of mercury-bearing light bulb or fluorescent tube).
Note: If you have a broken mercury thermometer or thermostat, please secure it in a tightly-sealed lidded container. Questions? Please contact the Health Department at 508-841-8384.
Is not hazardous. It can be disposed in your Pay As You Throw rubbish bag if it is adequately dried out. Some absorbent suggestions are: Speedy Dry, Kitty Litter, or Paper Towels
Oil Based Paints, Stains & Lacquers
Oil based paints, stains, and lacquers are prohibited from curbside collection. They are considered hazardous waste. When funding is available, the Town will hold a Hazardous Waste Collection event. That would be advertised on the Town's website and through social media on Twitter and FaceBook. This type of material can also be dropped at New England Disposal Technologies (NEDT), 83 Gilmore Drive, Sutton, MA 01590
Telephone: 866-769-1621 / Email: email@example.com / Website: http://www.nedt.org/
PROPANE TANKS and HELIUM TANKS
Propane tank* disposal (empty or not) can be returned for a fee of $5.00 per tank to:
Dileo Gas, Inc., 630 Sunderland Road, Worcester, MA 01604 - Telephone: 508-797-5878
*The smallest size tank Dileo will accept are the propane tanks for a BBQ example: Blue Rhino, etc.)
ONE POUND PROPANE and HELIUM TANKS
Will accept the following (fees apply, please call for pricing):
- One Pound Propane tanks (Coleman type whether they are empty or not)
- Helium tanks (with helium inside)
- Helium tanks (empty and knock-out on tank must be removed)
Metal items such as wheelbarrows, gas grills, bicycles, lawnmowers, automobile parts, exercise equipment and appliances all have value in the recycling market. The following places accept scrap metal:
- Superior Waste and Recycling will pick up metal at residences. They can be reached at 508-797-4848.
- The Dumpster Divers will pick up metal items at residences. They can be reached at 508-925-5245.
- Justin Nietsche will pick up metal items at residences for a fee. Please contact him directly for pricing at 774-272-0148.
SHARPS - Diabetic needles, Syringes, EpiPens, and Lancets
Shrewsbury residents can dispose of sharps at the Shrewsbury Health Department located on the first floor of the Town Hall during normal business hours - 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. - Monday thru Friday. Questions? Please contact the Health Department at 508-841-8384.
- Sharps must be in a tightly sealed puncture-proof container. Individual or loose sharps will not be accepted. The Health Department reserves the right to refuse containers that are not deemed safe.
- You must be a Shrewsbury resident. Please be prepared to show proof of residency.
- Indicate your name or organization (ie. if you are representing a public school), address, and quantity of containers on a roster the Health Department has at their counter. This information will be used for tracking volume for budgeting purposes only.
Residents should also check with their healthcare provider for other proper disposal options.
Non-residents should reach out to the Health Department within their own community for safe disposal options.
TEXTILE AND SMALL HOME GOODS
Beginning on July 22, 2019 Simple Recycling will be providing this FREE curbside collection service for pre-loved clothing, shoes, accessories and small household items. Place this bag out on your normal collection day, and a Simple Recycling Truck will pick it up.
Each residence will receive a mailer with one pink bag to start. Every time you put out a bag, the driver will leave a replacement bag in your mailbox. If you need additional bags, click here: https://simplerecycling.com/bag-request/
For Additional Information, please click here: https://shrewsburyma.gov/DocumentCenter/View/5509/Textile-Recycling
Central Mass Mosquito Control Project (CMMCP) has a tire collection program whereby residents of Shrewsbury can have tires collected and disposed of at no charge during the warm months. Rims must be removed first. This is a seasonal program.
To arrange for collection, residents can email CMMCP directly or call them at 508-393-3055.
If you have large branches, tree limbs, or stumps, you will have to secure a licensed contractor for the proper removal of wood.
The Town of Shrewsbury is Asian Long-horned Beetle zoned, so the handling of wood must be taken with extreme care. View a list of ALB Licensed Contractors (PDF) who can properly dispose of wood.
Please visit "Don't Move Firewood, it Bugs me" website for additional information.