There are certain waste items that the town is not prepared to handle, such as overly large or hazardous items. Examples:
- Electronics and appliances - These items are banned from curbside pick-up, as they contain hazardous components. When the Health Department learns of different organizations that sponsor take-back events, that information will be published on the town's website under NEWS FLASH.
Some suggestions for the disposal of these items are:
- The Dumpster Divers, Shrewsbury at 508-925-5245 - please contact them for pricing.
- Fluorescent tubes (Rocky's Ace Hardware in Northborough will accept fluorescent tubes up to 4 feet in length for Shrewsbury residents at no charge - proof of residency may be required).
Fluorescent tubes over 4 feet, must be returned to a Household Hazardous Products Collection Center. New England Disposal Technologies (NEDT) is located in Sutton. They charge according to the product type. For more information, please call (866) 769-1621, email them at info@NEDT.org or visit their website at NEDT
- Curly light bulbs (CFL's) - Return to The Home Depot's courtesy counter). They have a return program.
- Hazardous waste (ie. oil based paint, lacquer, stain, anti-freeze) - For more information, please call (866) 769-1621, email them at info@NEDT.org or visit their website at NEDT
- Construction Debris - The following individuals will pick up small rubbish & building material at your residence for a fee:
Mike Warren at (774) 623-6363 - and ask for Donna
Zona Company at (508) 752-4226