- Town Departments
- Council on Aging
- Outreach and Resources
- Virtual and Telephone Programs and Resources
Virtual and Telephone Programs and Resources
DOROT University Without Walls
DOROT’s University Without Walls (UWW) program offers hundreds of classes, appealing to a wide range of interests – all available over the telephone. English-speaking participants from New York and across the country can choose from ever-changing topics and such perennial favorites as Museum Talks, Literature and Arts, In the News, Understanding Your Rights, Jewish Interests, and Health and Wellness. Support groups enable older adults to connect with peers over common experiences such as vision loss, aging as an LGBT community member, caregiving and coping with the loss of a loved one. Class size is limited, to encourage discussion.
Find more information here: DOROT University Without Walls
Lifetime Connections Without Walls
Lifetime Connections Without Walls is a telephone activities program that provides opportunities for older adults to connect with others in their community and across the country. We offer social and educational sessions, support groups, and friendly conversation, all from the comfort of home.
Find more information here: Lifetime Connections Without Walls
Mather Telephone Topics
With Telephone Topics, you simply call a toll-free number or join online to access interesting discussions and programs. Participate in wellness programs, education programs, discussion topics, music reviews and live performances. All Telephone Topics take place on Zoom. You can join any topic for free, simply by calling a toll-free phone number for audio only, or by logging into a Zoom meeting, at the start time of the program. Not every program has a visual component. Check descriptions for those that say “WATCH ON ZOOM.”
Find more information here: Mather Telephone Topics
Online Programs and Resources
- Good Day Memory Cafe at Shrewsbury Public Library
- A memory cafe is a welcoming place for people at early stages of Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia AND their care partners. The Memory Cafe will meet on the first and third Friday of every month from 2-4 PM. Meetings are held on Zoom. See the library's calendar of events for more information.
- MA/NH Alzheimer's Association Virtual Education
- Knowledge is power. Attend Alzheimer's Association free education programs and learn about Alzheimer's disease and other dementias. Understanding the challenges will help you take control. We can teach you strategies to manage day-to-day—as someone living with an Alzheimer's diagnosis or as a care partner. All programs are presented live to allow for personalized questions and answers and at no cost.
- Shrewsbury Media Connection
- Stay up to date with town meetings, work up a sweat with Karen or Dr. C, and read 'One Book at a Time' with the Shrewsbury Public Library.
- How Seniors Can Stay Virtually Connected with Loved Ones
- Since it’s common for seniors to feel lonely and isolated, it’s essential to frequently stay in touch with loved ones. However, when friends and family live on the opposite side of town or the country, in-person quality time is difficult to come by. This article discusses how seniors can embrace technology to stay virtually connected with others.
- AARP Fitness Videos
- National Institute on Aging YouTube Channel
- The National Institute on Aging is the U.S. Government's lead agency on aging research and is part of the National Institutes of Health. NIA has several video series including Alzheimer's research, stretching techniques, healthy aging and more.
- Top 10 Benefits of Puzzle Solving for Adults
- “Puzzles give psychological order to the chaos we feel. When you come out of it, when you’ve solved the puzzle, then life seems to work better.” - Marcel Danesi, Professor of Semiotics and Linguistic Anthropology, University of Toronto. We've all experienced that gratifying "aha!" moment after piecing together an epic Scrabble word, poring over a crossword clue, or filling in the last square of a Sudoku puzzle. For ages, puzzles have been a way for us to reset from the world outside. From word games and brain games, to math puzzles and jigsaws, puzzles are brain tools that satisfy our nimble minds and bolster our thinking skills.
- Free online courses you can finish in a day. These popular free courses all have top ratings and can be completed in 8 hours or less, and are among Coursera's most completed courses in 2020. Take the course for free and decide whether or not you'll choose to pay for a certificate.
- YMCA Health and Fitness Videos for Active Older Adults
- As the average life expectancy lengthens there are more years for us to look forward to. Engaging with good health, exercise, and fitness earlier in life is important but you're never "too old" to start exercising and pursuing a healthier lifestyle that can help prevent, manage, and treat diseases and ailments.
- The Kennedy Center
- Watch extraordinary performances from the Kennedy Center's stages and beyond, with new releases daily, special series and original stories. Explore our vast collection of thousands of videos.
- Cirque du Soleil- Cirque Connect
- Your access to Cirque du Soleil content, all in one place. At Cirque du Soleil, we offer an escape from everyday life through the delight and whimsy of our shows. Now more than ever, we want to do our little part to spread joy, even from afar, directly to your safe spaces. Let us welcome you into our world where awe-inspiring show footage and fan favorite videos will transport you. Just for you, from us. Enjoy!
- Virtual Visits on New England Aquarium YouTube Channel
- Over 100 virtual visits presented by staff at the New England Aquarium. Watch live streams of the giant ocean tank or penguin colony here.
- National Theater in London
- At the National Theatre in London, we make world-class theatre that is entertaining, challenging and inspiring. And we make it for everyone. National Theatre Live is National Theatre’s ground-breaking project to broadcast the best of British theatre to cinemas in the UK and internationally. Unmissable theatre, any time anywhere. We're streaming worldwide on the brand new National Theatre at Home. National Theatre Productions travel to the West End and all around the world, on tour.
- Chronicle5: Chronicle the Podcast
- Find out where to go and what's interesting in New England! The nation’s longest-running, locally-produced television magazine show is now a Podcast. Episodes drop weekly. We're also on tv and online every as @chronicle5